Tuesday, November 3, 2009

iN mY TiME of LyiNg

If you've ever dealt with pain and sorrow you know that there are some lessons to be learned and something positive to be had. In my case the pain has been physical, and the sorrow, that of being pulled from the depths of a two-wheeled assault laden landscape projected by my mind at all times, has been real. So in this time of leave I have tried to expose the good that rests in all evil. I have dealt with family and friends alike insisting that I find another "hobby", school work that never ceases, and countless other mental hurdles that I can't even recall.

So I'll begin by addressing the issue of people, being honestly caring, suggesting that I do something else. First of all, none of these people are riders themselves, and they don't understand that cycling is more than a hobby; it is a lifestyle, a social movement, a political statement, an attitude, a sport, an adrenaline rush, and FREEDOM. It is whatever you want it to be. It is more. And maybe it's just the little bastard child in me, but whenever someone offers their illegitimate opinion on my cycling, it only deepens my lust for it. If only they knew how productive and helpful their words really were. My lesson learned involves standing strong for something you believe in, withstanding naysayers through blank stares and smiles, and overcoming adversity.

This all may seem like an attack on others, but that is not my intention. The negative responses that I have received can be found somewhere at the bottom of the dirty laundry pile that builds because of my generally care-free attitude. Or maybe I already washed them and they are hanging out to dry, I can't remember. My reason for this is to help myself realize the positives that came from being off a bike for almost 3 of the last 4 months.

For one, this blog might not exist. Organizing the Trick Or Track event probably would not have happened, as I wouldn't have had the time. So John and Endo and others, you can thank your hundreds of dollars in prizes on a piece of my collarbone, as there are surely plenty to go around. But the most important positive was the realization that the longer I am off a bike, the more I want to get back on. I've honestly never felt so inclined to hop on my mountain bike and thrash some trails, go out on a 40 mile road ride during one of these beautifully crisp cool and sunny fall days, or simply mash in true urban assault fashion.

Pictures of the Trick Or Track Alleycat and event recap coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment